August 9, 2012
A number of our clients have CrashPlan PROe accounts for onsite and offsite backup, so we’ve gotten to know this solution and what it can do.
Here are the top 5 benefits we’ve found from using CrashPlan PROe. Most of these are PROe specific, although a few of these also come with regular CrashPlan and CrashPlan Pro.
- One client has 2 offices in 2 cities, so the server and desktops in one office back up to a hard drive at the other office, and vice versa. And each computer also backs up to the local hard drive. Presto, onsite and offsite backup for both locations, without having to pay storage fees for all that data.
- We can log in to the CrashPlan console and see when the last backup occurred and the percentage complete, for all computers, all on one screen.
- Laptops are backing up whenever they are on the internet–even if they are out of the office. Which means it’s a great solution for employees who travel a lot, or for employees working from home offices.
- Ability to set very detailed retention settings for how long backup data is kept before it’s erased. This includes keeping, say, weekly backups for 6 months, and then, say, monthly backups for 1 year, before deleting. These can be set on a computer-by-computer basis, or we can apply the same settings to all computers.
- We can restore data from anywhere, for any computer or server, just by logging in to the console. So if a user needs a file, we can simply pull it down and email it to her instead of walking her through it by phone or remotely.
We’ll keep posting additional tips on CrashPlan PROe as we find more ways it makes our life and our clients’ lives easier.